Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I got a new gig.

I just quit my new gig.
I started this job Feb.7; as of April 1st, I'm outta there. The first week was filled with gruelling rehearsals, staying there until wee hours, waking at wee hours to get back there, then heading home for a quick nap before trudging back down there for more rehearsals. It was exhausting, though invigorating. And it was really amazing to be a part of the process, to have so much say in what could and couldn't happen; what was and wasn't "safe". After all, we're their "Fireflys", the fire safety techs, and ultimately what we said, went. Well, for the most part. I must say, it's been an awesome learning experience, and will remain as such until the end of the month, but there are far too many setbacks caused by this job that outweigh the perks. One of which is the "brilliant" idea of dropping the fire props into an airtight can to put them out quickly. This may sound like a fabulous way to get the fire off stage quickly and efficiently, and technically it is. Unless of course *you* are the one who has to retrieve said fire prop(s) from this now toxic fume filled can in a small, enclosed, non-ventilated backstage area. Yeah, that's some fun right there.

Then of course, we mustn't forget our "male diva" of fire who is constantly trying to push the limits in this dinky little venue with very little stage space. Quick thought: when you get approval from the fire marshal to do things a certain way, you should probably be happy and enjoy your new gig. It's really not the best idea to start coming up with new ways to blow up the stage and as much of the set as you can along the way, especially when he's said that he will only give a probationary permit and will be checking in from time to time. And of course it's always, "No worries, I'll handle it, it's all on me", until something actually goes wrong. Then where does his finger start pointing? At the ones who said it was a bad idea in the first place. Fortunately it hasn't been a problem yet, *yet*. We really care about these guys, every person that goes out there is someone that we consider a friend, so of course we're constantly stressing about safety. Even on our days off. Even when we're trying to sleep.

It's not all stress and toxic fumes, I really love my job. There's not a one person in there that I don't adore, these are really great people. Tonight I even had a twinge of wanting to stick around, to stick it out. But then I opened the can and took my lovely breath of toxic air, and then they started talking about the new, improved explosions they are planning, and my resolve to leave remained in tact. It's too bad, but such is life.

No comments: