Monday, March 14, 2005

The new girl

The girl I recommended as our replacement came in to "shadow" tonight. I explained the basics of the job as we went, and I started realizing just how much I really do in there. I had never noticed how much of my job consisted of "mind reading", but whatever they need, I'm always right there with it. Usually stepping way outside of the role of "safety" and more into the role of a general assistant. No wonder they don't want us to go!
I laid out all the baggage of the job to her, just so there are no surprises or false pretenses. If she takes the gig, she needs to be aware of all the crap that comes with it. We have a girl that sets up her dressing area right next to ours who's been coughing like crazy. Tonight she was coughing so hard that she kept gagging into the trash. She's a really great girl, and she's not fussing about it at all, even claims it's no big deal. But the fumes will get to everyone eventually, I have no doubts about that.
Oh, and one of the girls just found out she's pregnant, which is really awesome. She's going to make a most excellent mother. But this means they are losing yet another girl. I'll miss these guys, and I think it more every night I work . I won't miss the job, the fumes, that *damn can* or the stress, but I think when it's all over I will look back fondly. Heck, when enough time goes by I'll probably even wonder why I left. Ha!

No comments: